Public site (anonymous) problem

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:24 AM
Edited Apr 6, 2010 at 9:25 AM

i have deployed this webpart and working fine with my user a/c.

But for the public site(publishing portal with anonymous access)

I'm receiving "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error.

could you pls solve this...

thanks

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:13 PM
Yes, Discovered this myself. When the user is not logged in this error shows up regardless of the permissions placed on the list. I was forced to dump this option and use a data form web part with weak permissions set on the list. Not ideal. That said this is a good tool right up to that point, and I would prefer to use it if I could. I think a lot of other people would too. It fills a very important need.
Apr 26, 2010 at 10:16 PM
Are you guys saying this solution doesn't support anonymous access sites?? I thought that was the entire purpose!
Apr 28, 2010 at 5:19 AM
Edited Apr 28, 2010 at 5:19 AM

Ahhhh...[sigh]. I can now confirm this too. Irrepective of list permisisons for anonymous users the aboev error will be thrown.

Given that this soltuion is using elevated permissions you'd think there'd be a way around this, no?

I'd be really very interested in hearing from anyone who manages to resolve this problem.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Yep,

There might be a way if you can adjust the policy at the global level.

I didn't have much luck in web.config

The real problem here is of course that SharePoint regards the developer as a dangerous and unstable person, and by default denies access to do anything practical.

Why am I using this thing again?